Saturday, December 19, 2009

Welcome Wellness Fans

December. Not only a time filled with family and love and holiday cheer, but also a time filled with gluttony and impending dread over the New Year's Resolution. As resolution after resolution danced in my head, I resolved not to let another year go by where I would state the trite "lose 20 lbs" and end up no where closer to that goal when the year ended than when I started. Rather, it was time to focus on total wellness: nutrition, fitness, and soul. The mighty triad. The true meaning of total self-harmony. And I'm taking you with me.

How it works:
Three goals (fitness, nutrition, and mind/soul) times 4 months each, equals 12 months. A full year dedicated to total wellness. Each month, I'll rotate a new goal that incorporates one goal from each of those categories. Along the way, we'll have mini-weekly goals, or "wellness shots" as I affectionately like to call them. Just a little something to get us going and remembering the final mission of total wellness. These won't be every week, just a little something when the mood strikes us.


While I tentatively have a full year's schedule of wellness goals, I'm open to additional ideas, and will take comments and suggestions liberally. These will be especially helpful with keeping the mini-goals fresh. Please feel free to email me or post a comment with suggestions or goals. All suggestions for a monthly goal need to be submitted by December 29. Wellness shot ideas may be submitted year round.

Some ideas:
Fitness: walk up stairs every day to work, exercise every day, try a new fitness activity
Nutrition: no fast food, bring lunch to work every day
Mind/soul: daily affirmations, pamper yourself, educational trip

Whenever appropriate, I will try to organize group events so we can meet that month's goal together.


I hope you are as excited as I am! Basically, this is all about bettering ourselves, and committing ourselves to "getting off our lazy asses and doing what we should already be doing" (to quote Aaron).

This blog will only survive with support from you because I'm already envisioning that come mid-March, I'll be like "what did I get myself into?" But that's why I need YOU! To keep me motivated, and in turn, I hope to keep you motivated. So be prepared to write supportive comments on this blog and get your exercise gear ready because January will be here before you know it!



If you are a newcomer that happens to stumble across this blog mid-month, mid-year, etc., just start right now, right here, and come December 31, you'll be a better person for it.


Photo Credit: wesleyn.edu

2 comments:

  1. this is a great idea... the group support thing is great. that's why i've signed up for the shamrock. goals and groups seem to help me stay on track. i'm in a gluttonous mood right now so this will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Well, that's why I need people to do it with me, so I'll stay motivated and actually do this too! That's awesome you already signed up for the Shamrock! I'm so impressed with you!!

    ReplyDelete