Monday, March 1, 2010

March 1

Here it is, the beginning of a new month, a new start. For some, the beginning of a new decade of being alive. Time to reward yourself for being so great. Time to take a little "me" time out. Many of us have so many responsibilities and things to do that we forget to take some time out to take care of our own well being. That's what the point of this blog was, to hopefully entice you to start caring about yourself. However, taking care of oneself is more than being healthy and eating right, it's about having a healthy soul as well.

Now while pampering yourself may not give you the same overall health benefits that eating right and exercise does, it does contribute in a major way by lowering your overall stress levels. High levels of stress are linked to many health problems including insomnia, back problems, stress eating (or weight loss for the other stress type), high blood pressure, depression, and even gastrointestinal disorders. The list is really extensive. Therefore, it's very important to take some time to de-stress every now and then. And this is not meant to be a stressful event (how am I going to fit in my stress relief into my busy schedule? will just leave you ending up more stressed).

Obviously eliminating stress is not possible. There's always going to be car trouble, a late deadline at work, a hormonal teenage, but we can strive to mitigate some of the stress though stress management techniques. And that's what this month is all about. Taking some time, not feeling guilty, and doing something that makes you feel relaxed.

My first pampering of the month will be getting a haircut. Yes, I know we get them every so often, but this time, I'm going to really enjoy the experience. Get that glass of wine, not worry about where I need to be after wards, or that my hair dresser keeps raising his prices! I'm going to just enjoy the over all experience. So, I'm set for week 1. How about you?

3 comments:

  1. I liked what you wrote about reading counting in that last post. I haven't been able to take time to read in a very long time. On Saturday, I'll set an hour aside to read all my favorite magazines that pile up around the house.
    - Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. the magazine reading is def a nice way of pampering..i have them collect and then by the time i read them they're out of date. i did finish two books in the past month and had a brow wax, a much needed mani/pedi, and a nap one day with no where to rush off to after. i had this permanent smile on my face for a few hours. i love pampering me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Tan - you're post made me smile! I love pampering me too, don't you just feel so pretty afterwards? You did a lot too, reading, waxing, mani/pedi, nap! Awesome! This one is too easy! There's no way I can't get more than 1 a week!

    Carla - I agree with Tan, magazines are such a luxury, they're awesome ways of pampering!

    ReplyDelete