Wednesday, February 3, 2010

30X30 and 31! (Also known as Worst Day Ever)

My flight on Saturday was canceled, so I was "forced" to spend a mini-vacation in Albuquerque on Saturday. 

For my 30 minutes, I have to admit, it was a little weak. I didn't have any work out clothes, I was expecting to get back around noon on Saturday and would go to the gym then, but as they often do, things do not always go as planned.

I spent Saturday visiting the Sandria Mountains. These mountains were formed over 1.4 billion years ago and boast some of the highest elevation in New Mexico. The rocks are mostly mica and granite, and apparently turn pink when the sun sets, hence the name Sandia, which means watermelon in Spanish.

Here's a view from the base of the mountains.
 
This is also the home of the world's largest passenger aerial tram way, the Sandia Peak Ski and Tramway. It also has the world's third largest single span for a tramway. I heard this was a must do attraction while in Albuquerque. The tram goes up 2.7 miles to the top of the mountain, and raises 3,819 feet. It was completed in 1966 by a Swedish engineer who thought these mountains deserved the same sort of tramway as the Alps. This is not something to do if you are afraid of heights, but it made a magnificent and very picturesque ascent up into the mountains.
 
Here's a picture of the tram from the top of the mountain. 
 
I thought I'd be able to get some hiking done up here, but no such luck. The trails were all covered in snow. So, I did not count any of that time as my exercise. Instead, I went downtown, where Central (part of the old Route 66) crossed the Rio Grande, and walked along the paved pathway along the banks of the river.


And in case you are wondering, I felt only slightly lame doing all those touristy things alone!

So, although not as intense as some of the other days, I did manage to get 30 minutes in. I spent the rest of my day getting a manicure and shopping. And as all you folks were probably stuck inside with no way out because of the snow, I felt like it was a pretty perfect day.

As I found out later, Saturday was the calm before the storm.

On Sunday, I get to the Albuquerque airport around 5 am, as my flight is scheduled to leave at 6 am. Nothing unusual about my day so far. I get some water, get my book out and sit at the gate. Around 5:45, I hear an announcement that there are some technical issues with my plane, and we're going to be delayed about an hour! Well, that was settled, I was going to miss my flight! I went to the counter and the woman told me the 2:20 was booked, so she would hold me a spot on the 6 pm! 6 pm! I cried! That's nine hours in the airport! At this point, however, I'm still optimistic. I'm a sucker like that.

The plan arrives at 9:20 am  in DFW on the dot. My connection is at 9:25, but I'm hopeful it's a little delayed. After all, both flights to Albuquerque were, my first one back was also, plus there's the snow issue. So, I'm thinking, maybe, just maybe I can make it!

I get off the plane and I start hauling ass. Full out sprinting through the airport.

Suddenly, and the details here are a little murky, I find myself tumbling toward the ground. As I see the floor rushing up to meet me, the thought running through my head is "wow, this is going to be embarrassing." I don't manage to catch myself and I slam hard into the floor. As soon as I made contact, there was no room for thoughts of embarrassment, all thoughts were turned to intense, excruciating pain like I don't remember ever feeling before. Some kind strangers help me up, and my knees, shoulder, hands and head are all throbbing. I sort of half jog/half miserably walk to my gate, and of course, the plane has left.

At this point, I start crying. Well, I went into a little corner and start bawling. I'm in intense pain, I have 9 hours to spend in the airport and I'm a hot mess. A good cry always makes you feel better, well, sometimes anyways.

After I calm down a little bit, I go back to the desk, and she informs me there is in fact seats available on the 2:20. I am mixed between relief at not having 9 hours at the airport, and livid because I probably wouldn't have been in such a panic mode if I'd known there was this earlier flight.

The woman at the American Airlines counter was very helpful. She got me some bags and filled them with ice, and I spent the next four hours alternating between icing my knees, my shoulder, and walking so my knees didn't get stiff.

Did you think I didn't get my 30 in? No! Remember the number one rule!? Despite my pain, and yes, it was painful, I managed to get a hour and a half walk in. I walked around the entire airport, lugging my broken and bruised self all the way around the DFW airport. I was a pitiful site. I wasn't walking smartly or with any sort of bounce. My eyes were brimming with tears. I was hunched over trying to ignore the pain. I know I looked like a pathetic site, but I did it! I completed my goal of moving every single day for 30 minutes in January!!

Here's a picture of my knee. Lovely, isn't it?
 
And don't worry, my shoulder hurts worse than this looks!

Days 30 and 31, while complete, were hardly a success.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, Sarah! So sorry hunny. Don't discount your last couple of days - you did it...and w/a pretty nasty injury...in an airport! I'm proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CJ! That is very sweet of you. It still hurts like a b!tch! I will tell you what! But thanks for being proud and saying not to discount the last couple of days!! I was definitely quite the pathetic site wandering around the airport, but yes, injury and all, I did it!

    ReplyDelete