Tuesday, January 12, 2010

30X10,11(2), and 12

Well, so far things are on track. Went Sunday, Monday (twice!), and Tuesday!

And it is official, I am a gym rat. I've been going to the James Center Y for 4 years now, so I know a lot of the people that work there and workout there. We all say hello by name and have the causal gym conversations. As the James Center Y is not open Sundays, I have to go to the Downtown Y (which incidentally is where I go when I go after work as well). On Sunday, I ran into 4 people I know: two from the JC Y, one from my office, and one from school that I hadn't seen in years. Of course I felt like Ms. Popularity in there! But it helps when you feel like you have a network of "friends" at the gym. And trust me, they keep you accountable if they don't see you in there for a few days!

So, I think I have a pretty good workout partner in Danie. And I used to have a good running partner in Erin (who, I will be back to running with soon, I know it!!). I always thought that they kept me accountable and on track. But I found some interesting news and may be thinking about getting that adorable 100 lb mutt sooner rather than later.

A University of Missouri study found that dogs are a better exercise partner than humans. Without getting into the numbers, the study found that those with pets were more likely to keep up with a regular routine. The humans were too easily persuaded by the other and they could easily talk each other out of it, even if one was in the mood, chances were higher than the one not in the mood would win the argument. I know for one I am guilty of that. I can just hear the same old conversation between Danie and I. "I'm not in the mood, are you?" "Well, now that you say it, maybe not." "Are we making the right decision here?" "Yes, we did good yesterday and we DESERVE a day off." "Let's go to Ross and Panera and Red Nails instead!" "Yea!" And all thoughts of the gym are loooooong gone!

How can you say no to running with this?

Finchester.org


Let me know what's going on!!
xo

4 comments:

  1. Yay Sarah! i am not doing so fab with the 30 minute thing. today however, i put together the pull up/chin up bar and did 3 chin ups(palms facing) and 5 pull ups with push off from stool. quite amazing! i am bringing sexy back! ha

    just remember dogs are still breathing and needing stuff in rain and cold! that's my challenge with honey; wishing she could use litter box.what type of 100# pup are you looking at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need to bring sexy back, because you already are girl! And what do you mean you are not doing so fab!? Unacceptable! Come on! You can do it!

    And I know about the dogs! Haha! They are so cute, but I just don't think I'm ready for that kind of commitment. Although they are super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking this morning I wish I had "gym friends" like I used to have "pool friends" when I was in college. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! The gym friends help a TON! First, there's the friends that get you there every morning, then the friends that you only see at the gym, and hold you accountable if they don't see you for a few days, and on that same hand, tell you you are doing great when they see you. There's this guy at the Y that always tells me he can't keep up with me. Clearly that's an exaggeration, but it makes me hold my head up just a little bit higher!!

    ReplyDelete