Sunday, January 17, 2010

30X15, 16, 17

Yes, yes. Just because I haven't posted in a long time does most certainly not mean I haven't been very diligent!! I went each of those days. Weight training Friday morning, as usual, and cardio Saturday and Sunday.

Today, I went to the Tuckahoe Y. The James Center, where I go every work day is closed Sunday, and the Downtown Y, where I go after work or weekends opens at 12. I had a lot to do today and needed to get in my workout earlier and the Tuckahoe Y opens at 8 on Sundays.

Do you ever get nervous when you go to a new gym? I definitely was. Fortunately, I went with Danie, otherwise I think I'd be too nervous! The Y was HUGE! There was two huge pools in there, all sorts of gyms, and a two story fitness center with rows upon rows of machines. Now, I know this is normal gym, that's how I think the American Family ones are, how the Y in Lynchburg is, etc., but I was overwhelmed!

First, we parked at the wrong door! We entered in through the back and found our way through to the front desk. Then, literally there was a maze to get to the fitness center. Well, once we found the center, one would think our worries would be over, but no. Now you have to figure out how to navigate the equipment. Is there a signup sheet, is there some sort of unspoken rules that everyone follows that we were about to break? We find some empty machines, fill out the sign up sheet and start working away. But instead of enjoying a nice workout, this was when the vultures swooped down. People would come up to the machine, stare at the log to see when you'd be getting off, look at the clock, stare rudely at you, then walk off, only to come back by again in a few minutes. I wanted to be like "Dude, sign up for the next slot and come back then, don't be hanging out around my machine." It was different.

Anyways, I'm sure that's the gym experience most of you have, but for me it was different, it was odd. I really like the friendly atmosphere at the James Center, and the more laid back attitude at the Downtown Y. But that is not what happened at Tuckahoe. It was very much get in, get down to business, and get out the door. Even the people at the front desk weren't nearly as friendly!

The other huge difference is there were children at this Y. Swimming lessons were going on in the pool, a boys' basketball game being played in one of the gyms. Seeing these kids laugh and splash and play on the court reminded me of my youth. I learned to swim at the Y from my aunt Susan who worked there. I played in my first co-ed basketball team at the Y. I was the only girl on the team, and from what I remember, I kicked some ass! My day camp took field trips to the Y where we played on the playground, in the pool, etc. I had some good memories at the Y.

So, mid-month check in!! How are we doing!?

No comments:

Post a Comment